Monday, February 12, 2007

He hears!

I've been studying Genesis lately. Sure I've read this book a lot and would think I knew most of the stories. But the more I read things in the Bible, the more I see that God can show me new things each time. I'm trying to put myself in the place of these people to see what they felt in their situations. Rather than thinking "yeah, Abraham and Sarah waited a long time to have a baby", I'm thinking, they really wanted a baby and had to wait years and YEARS. What was the point of that? Couldn't God have just let them have a baby 60 years earlier? Obviously He had reasons. Several days ago I read the story in chapter 24 about Abraham sending his old servant to find a wife for Isaac. The servant prayed to the Lord, asking that whichever woman he asked for water and she offered water to his camels as well, this would be the wife for Isaac. But this next part hit me... Verse 15 says, "Before he had finished speaking, behold, Rebekah...came out with her jar on her shoulder." (italics are mine). God heard the servant while he was still speaking and answered his prayer. This verse cross references Isaiah 65:24. It says, "It shall come to pass that before they call I will answer; and while they are still speaking, I will hear." So why did the old servant see the answer before he even finished speaking, but Abraham and Sarah had to wait so long? I obviously can't answer that, but it just shows that God does hear and answer, so why are we afraid to ask? Maybe because we don't expect to get an answer? Or maybe we won't get the answer that we want? I admit, there have been times that I've been afraid to whole heartedly pray for God's will in something because I'm afraid it might bring a different result than I'd like to see. It might take years to see the answer (or it might take seconds!), but I rest assured that He does hear and has answered. He just knows what He's doing, and I don't. A lot of times it's hard to be patient for something we want. I read this quote: "God has little intention of allowing us to get too comfortable here." That keeps us longing for that better country, that heavenly country that it talks about in Hebrews 11:16. It says, "But as it is, they desire a better country, that is, a heavenly one. Therefore God is not ashamed to be called their God; for He has prepared a city for them." How do you take in when things go wrong or when you can't see the answer when you want to? It's ok to be sad or disappointed about things, but not to dwell on them for too long. Do you get depressed or impatient... or do you look on with hope for that better country?

5 comments:

marissa said...

mel, it's amazing how God used you in my life today! i'm so glad that you shared that post. it made me want to go to my room & just spend some good time in prayer before i even wanted to take the time to comment! i know that God uses the times of waiting, & it's exciting to find out HOW He uses them!

Jen said...

"God is at home. We are in the far country." (Meister Eckhart)
I'm beginning to understand the longing to be at home, and I am thankful that as painful as it can be, God created us to long for something more than what is here.

Mary Anna said...

Mel, I loved this post. Actually, I love all of them but yeah, you know what I mean. It is such a blessing to have a Christian friend who truly loves the Lord and helps me want a deeper relationship with Him. But anyways, I've been thinking about you a lot lately, and I love you! :)

Lacey said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lacey said...

That was an awesome post, Mel. Thank you. I so needed to hear that this week. Love and miss you!