Monday, July 10, 2006

Lima Days Collection

Sorry, this isn't a good follow-up from the last post...but it's true.

Lima Days Collection
By Melanie Warden and Autumn Joyner

1. Watch Out for Poo

Lima, Lima the city of kings
Lima, Lima, not like the beans
To take a taxi or to take a bus,
Perhaps the combi woud best suit us.

Riding in a combi, what do we see
Carperted walls and no seat for me.
We receive a ticket when we give our money,
And all the people look at us funny.

We get off the combi and walk down the street
There’s poo on the ground so we look down at our feet
There are so many people calling us “gringa”
Why do they have to be so meanga?

Two little white girls in the middle of this big city
We don’t know what we’re doing, really it’s a pity
Why don’t you come visit, we’ll show you around…
But don’t forget to keep your eyes on the ground.



2. Concert on Custer

So we’re ridin a Custer down Arequipa
Starin out the winda at all the many peopa
When the bus is full we make room for more
At every corner someone new comes through the door.

It’s not a surprise when vendors jump on the bus
And try to sell gum or candy to us.
We’re even used to the occasional musician
But we don’t usually bother to listen.

However, on this special day
Two guys with guitars came our way
At first we thought they’d be really bad
And have to leave the bus empty-handed and sad

In the beginning it felt a little strange
But then they started to sing and everything changed
Their voices blended very well.
We wish they had a record to sell.

They sang two songs and went on their way,
But not before everyone got money out to pay
We hope someday to hear them again
Maybe tomorrow we’ll head back to block number 10.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so proud of us...it takes real genius to create poems of that caliber...

John Grady said...

Sounds like you "gringas" are enjoying yourselves in Lima! When we get down there, you will have to show us around. Oh, and we are already trained to look down for "Caca" (is it the same word there?) because it is all over the place here in CR too!

Anonymous said...

Well, I was thinking about posting as "anonymous" today! :-) But I do thank you for the warning. I was actually hoping you were keeping your eyes up and looking around for all those meanga guys!

I'm even more thankful I live in the good ole USA where we can walk down the sidewalk and only worry about occasional chewing gum.

So glad you are Autumn are getting to have some fun this week (and hopefully Amy later). I'm praying for you three as you go to downtown Lima (without a guide) on your cultural assignments!!! May God place those in your path today who need to hear the Good News.

Love,
Mom

Anonymous said...

haha you're crazy. those definitely gave a good picture of what you go through!

Anonymous said...

Niiiiiice. Everything is better in rhyme. I felt like I experienced it whith you.

Lacey said...

So you have a new found appreciation for Spanish music, huh? :)

I always appreciate good poems! :) Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Cute cute cute! Wow! I am absolutely amazed at the poetry! Maybe I can write a tune... (Unless you already have one, or you can ask those guys that sang on the bus!) Well, fun times indeed!

Anonymous said...

MELLY BELLY! i cant' tell you how overjoyed i am to see a posting thats not so serious ;) You've got quite the talent at writing poems...i love especially how you just MAKE the words rhyme. thats some neva forgive action right there!

i'm prayin for you soooo much and miss ya that much too!

Anonymous said...

Yay! That was fun! :)