Why do Christians have "dry" times? Why are there times that I want to desire Him and His word so much, but I don't feel like doing anything about it? I don't feel this way right now, but I did recently. I am thankful that when I do have these times they don't last long, but what makes it so easy to spend time with Him sometimes and hard at other times? I always come to realize that in those times that it is harder, if I do it anyway, it is even sweeter...I start getting to where the more time I spend with Him the more time I want to spend with Him. I get up earlier and earlier, but there's never enough time.
Why do all Christians not experience this sweet fellowship with Him? Sure, some do from time to time, but why do some people go through "dry spells" for so long? I have been talking with a friend about some people who don't understand why God has been silent for so long. These people are confused and say they want what my friend has...but it turns out that none of them read their Bible consistently. We can wonder and question God's silence all day long, but if we don't sit still and meditate on His Word day and night, we will not hear anything. I know there are times that we do spend time with Him, but He still seems silent. I cannot say that just spending time with Him will change silence...but I can say that doing nothing definitely won't help. So, it's easier for some than it is for others. God chooses to pour out as much grace as He wants on whomever He wants. But we shouldn't be questioning why He gives more grace and mercy to some people, because the truth is that none of us even deserves any grace at all. If He gives a lot more grace to my friend than He does to me, who am I to complain? I cannot compare myself to her, but to Jesus Christ. I deserve nothing. I will be thankful for the grace He gives me, and that grace will be sufficient like it says in 2 Corinthians 12:9. "My grace is sufficient for you, for power is perfected in weakness "....
We as Christians have been given a command in Matthew 28:19-20 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Where ever God takes us to fulfill this command, how can we teach others to do what He has commanded if we are not even doing it ourselves? I am saying this to myself as much to anyone else, but spending time in His word and in silence listening is so important. We are Christians who have been given a command by God, and we will be held accountable for how we respond to that command. If we are Christians, shouldn't we be spending time with Him, learning His ways--shouldn't we be evangelizing and discipling others? We don't need to spend years in a "dry spell" asking others how they find so much joy in Christ. We should already have that joy and it should be evident to the world.
Wednesday, June 28, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Among many other things, I needed to take in every word of this post tonight. Thanks! I love the fact that Christians can be in community even when we're 5000 miles apart!
i definitely need to hear this. it's so easy for us to wonder why God's not talking, when we rush around all day & don't even take a couple of minutes to listen to Him. i'm glad you shared this!
dear mel how have you become so wise at such a young age. God Bless you and may you continue to grow in His grace. Betty
I often feel like this too. Man, I love reading your posts. It's so awesome to see God working in your life. Love you, Mel!
wow, you're exactly right....i think its was too serious for me to be able to say much about it though! I'm prayhing for you every day melly belly!
p.s. you should get a myspace!
Amen and Amen! Man...you would be an awesome preacher! I guess that's why you're in Peru, huh? : )
Candidate school Frontiers' training in preperation for the mission field. So, kind of like your taining but condenced down to 2 weeks. I'm super excited about, and I cannot wait to go because I know He is going to do some amazing things while I'm there. That's my only expectation...that God do amazing things with everyone there and with me.
God bless you friend, and it's exciting to see what He's doing in your life!
Nicely said. Thanks!
Post a Comment