I don't know what Paul's "thorn in the flesh" was in 2 Corinthians 12, but he did say it was "lest I should be exalted above measure by the abundance of the revelations..." He also said he pleaded with the Lord three times that it would be removed, but the Lord said , "My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness." It was there in order to keep Paul humble, to make sure he relied on the Lord and always gave God the glory.
Unless I am around people I have known a long time (or people that I know can handle my sarcasm!), I am really quiet. People saying I'm quiet is like Peruvians saying "Gringa!" when they see me. It's stating the obvious. Someone told me the other day that she and some others were talking about how quiet Amy and I are (Amy's not quiet, by the way) and they wondered how we would do as teammates. I know people think, "She's so quiet! How can she be a missionary?!" All I want to say is "EXACTLY!!!" The truth is I cannot do it. Anything that happens is God's doing. Yesterday there were 5 of us in Los Olivos and we split up into 2 groups to to go door to door. The girl I was paired with was an 11 year old who ran away everytime I rang a doorbell. You think this quiet girl who doesn't speak enough spanish can go door to door talking to people? Or teach or disciple anyone, etc...No way! I agree with Paul when he said, "Therefore most gladly I will boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me."
I would rather listen to someone else talk and see what they are like than know they are seeing what I am like. (What can I say, I was a sociology major b/c I enjoy learning about people and why they act certain ways). If people see this as an "infirmity" or weakness, praise God!! If I talked a lot I might take credit for myself. Well, you all know I can't do it, but you know who can and does! Although some lessons are not easy to learn, I praise God for all He teaches me and the ways He blesses me when I am out of my comfort zone
Galatians 2:20: "I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me."
Wednesday, August 09, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Dear girl you never cease to amaze me. I thank God for you daily and know you are dependent upon Him, or you would not be where you are. God Bless and keep you. Love Betty
I am not sure that our thorns stay the same over the long haul, though. Mine is currently my ability to get things done. My hands are still tied about my visa, and I'm going back to Miami in a couple of weeks to complete the visa process (hopefully). I may be coming to Peru in December. I'll let you know. I miss you!
i love that passage of scripture. just knowing that God works through us in spite of our weeknesses is a humbling thought!
Mel,
Being a little quiet is a bad thing??? I'm so thankful He made you just like you are - with a beautiful, listening heart. 1Peter 3:4 I'm so proud of you...and thankful because of the way you are listening to God!
YES! People would tell me the same thing! I'd get so annoyed! It's so totally awesome to see how God is using you, tho. :)
i can totally relate. of course being here in tokyo i'm having to be more of an extravert instead of my usually interverted self, but it's all for God's glory, right?
Amen sista! Thanks for the awesome post and encouraging reminder!
Mel, that post was so full of wisdom, humility and insight that I am astonished it came from one so young! Continue to abide in Christ and it will always be so.
May the Lord bless you and keep you!
Post a Comment