Friday, June 22, 2007

Paseo







Today Victor took Amy's family around Callao, and I got to tag along. Callao is right outside of Lima, and it's where Victor was born and raised. He's so proud of it and said we needed our passports to go from Lima to Callao--it's like another country. haha. It's on the ocean, so we touched the Pacific, saw lots of ships, and went on a tour inside of a submarine (that was definitely a first). He even took us to a market and bought us pork sandwiches with fried sweet potato. (I hope nobody gets sick!) The flags are on the way to Callao, but I've seen them a million times and just like them :-)
Unfortuneately pretty much the only day Amy seems to be in town while her parents are here is my day off. So I'm working alone for a while now and when she goes to Argentina the first 2 weeks of July. But even though I wasn't looking forward to going alone Wednesday and Thursday, they turned out to be amazing days. God was really working, and I could tell before I even got to Los Olivos on Wednesday and Canto Grande on Thursday that God was going to do some big things. Especially in Canto Grande where Saira (spelling?) and I were going to go to 3 houses to visit people. We couldn't find the third house, but it turned out that we realized God was telling us to share the Gospel with a lady we had asked for directions. Then Saira was getting excited and said "Let's go see who we can find at the court!" So we went and I got to share with some more people, all willingly listening and asking questions. Then I saw a group of 3 people. Saira said, "Are you going to talk to them?" I said, "Nope. You are." She was so nervous and said "But you do it so much better, I've never done this." I told her that I don't do it better, I get nervous too, it gets better with practice, and at least she has the advantage of doing it in her own language! So we went over and she shared the Gospel with these 3 people. Her voice was shakey the whole time, but just to see the excitement in her face made it such a wonderful day for me. I'm still excited! hehe Amy and I are working out there in order to encourage the few believers who are still attending this church and to get them excited about sharing with others and getting the church going again. Finally, yesterday I saw some success. My mom always tells me, "Your work in the Lord is not in vain."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, it looks like people are actually staying in their lanes on the roads in this town...very much UNlike Lima, huh! Glad you got to have a fun day off. Great news about the Gospel being shared. I'm praying it fell on fertile soil and this will be the future church there! God is faithful! Proud of you and love you lots, Mom

Anonymous said...

mom, that picture actually is lima- it's on the way to callao. and it probably looks like they are in the lines because we had just in that moment started to go...we had been sitting through a red light :-)

Anonymous said...

that's pretty cool about the submarine.:) and it's great to see how excited saira was!! - riss