
For the first time in a month I am home alone. The volunteer group arrived a month ago, so my family was staying with me and I was sharing a room with my sister. Autumn got here before my family left has been sharing a room with me since they left. She informed me that several nights ago I was talking in my sleep....in Spanish! crazy, huh? Autumn just left to go to the airport to return to Pucallpa. It's too quiet now, after getting used to a month of visitors. :-( Several IMB missionaries from Lima have gone to help with disaster relief. Last night we were still feeling aftershocks. Yesterday morning we (even Amy downstairs) were awakened my an explosion in my kitchen. I hadn't realized what had woken us up, but I went to the kitchen and there was shattered glass covering the whole kitchen. I couldn't figure out what it was from until I heard crackling at the stove and realized that it was shattered glass of what use to be the glass covering that goes over the stove. When I could hear that I got scared and woke up Autumn and Amy. Amy turned off the gas and moved the stove a little to be able to unplug it as well. When she moved it, it started making a louder, constant noise. We were all afraid to be in the kitchen (or even the upstairs apartment). I called my supervisor and asked him to come over, "this is an emergency!" Amy and Autumn made fun of me when I laughed after saying it was an emergency, but I tend to do that when I'm nervous or scared. Amy said "I'm going downstairs!" and I said, "I'll be right there!" I didn't want to stay upstairs just in case.
Kevin came and unplugged the stove and helped us clean up all the glass. He said he hadn't seen anything similar to that before. Now I'm waiting for the electrician who was supposed to be here at 8am, so I got up early to be sure to be ready before he got here. Well, it's 9 and he's still not here. What can I say, I live in a Latin American country....just got a call, and they might come Monday morning. Of course when I don't have a stove or oven from Thurs-Mon I am really wanting to cook something!
I've taken long enough, so I'm finally going to post a few pictures from Volunteer group number 2! I didn't really take pictures, these are from other people. My mom, dad, and sister got to come as well as some really good friends. What I want to know is who was preacing when picture #2 was taken...Dad or Jonathan?!? ;-) In the 4th picture we are sorting the donations of clothes from Grace Baptist and from a girl my sister works with...thanks so much for the help in that. When we gave the clothes to Karina (she is the one who wanted them to give to a lot of kids in the area), she cried. She and her mom put together small bags of clothes for 70 kids!






6 comments:
thanks for all of your planning for the trip. i think it all went really well/smoothly. just wish it could've been longer!
Do you ever have a boring day? I don't think so! So many are praying for you and now we'll pray you won't be lonely. "Draw near to God and He will draw near to you." Thanks for all your hard work and planning for our mission group...it was a great blessing. I'm proud of you and love you lots. Mom
The stove incident is really weird. I wouldn't have wanted to hang around after that either!!
So glad we got the chance to come...and so happy that you are safe after the earthquake/aftershocks. I am so blessed to have you as a friend!! Love you!
Ok I'm thinking the exact same thing as your mom. Never a dull moment. The pictures are great...I'm still jealous but so glad ya'll had such a great time. Praying for you!
we are a couple of crazy kids...that is for sure...between the two of us i think we could write a series of books...want to? haha...and when we're together it's even worse the strangeness of the events that happen! i miss you so much...and car alarms...and shattered stoves....and cake for breakfast...and brushing our teeth in argentina...haha...awww come visit me please...
LOL! I laughed so hard when you said that you were talking in your sleep in Spanish. I made fun of Riss not too long ago when I stayed with her b/c she was talking in her sleep too.
That's crazy about your stove! Did you ever find out what really happened?
I'm with Riss; I wish it could have been longer. It was such an awesome trip, Mel! Thanks for all you did to organize it! LOVE YOU!
Post a Comment