Saturday, August 25, 2007

Disaster Relief





















If you want, check out the website the IMB missionaries have created to update on the disaster relief that is going on south of Lima.

These pictures are from that site.

There are a few teams of IMB missionaries in the damaged cities right now, and the rest of us have been working hard to get the food (such as rice, sugar, beans, etc) and things to send down for distribution.

Yesterday we spent the day cutting 20 meter strips of plastic that will be sent down to be used on the huts where people live and carrying bags of stuff up the stairs. It was hard work, and we were exhausted and I'm sore today! The day before we worked all day to get tons (literally) of rice, sugar, beans, etc. separated into smaller bags that could be given to families. Amy and I make a good team! :-) Pastor Jose, his wife Berta, and Hermano Mario from our church in El Agustino also came to help.

Today Amy and I were going to go to Los Olivos, but I spent from 2-9am throwing up. This is the second time this has happened since I've been in Peru; before that I hadn't thrown up since I was 10 years old when I had appendicitis!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that you're over "that" part of it, wish I were there to hug you and make you some chicken noodle soup! =) So sorry! Wonder how many pounds of food went out and how many people that will help? It takes so many people behind the scenes to make an impact in that kind of disaster. Thanks to you and the other missionaries for being representatives for us here in the US and for shining God's Light. Wish we could be there to help, too. There are more prayers than you can imagine being said for Peru!
Love you and proud of you! Mom

mel_peru said...

i know one thing...it isn't "pounds" of food, it's tons! One volunteer missionary asked at our meeting "are we looking at sending pounds or tons". They said "tons"...after being a part of getting it ready to go and seeing all there is, I believe it!

Mary Anna said...

Keep up the great work! They need you! God has you there for a reason!

You haven't thrown up since you were 10 years old?! That's crazy! I'm sorry that you have been sick. I will pray that you get better (and for Peru obviously). Love you!

Lacey said...

Glad that you are able to help with the disaster relief...keep up the good work! :) Wish I was there to help alongside you!!!

Have you gotten a chance to visit the areas that were affected by the earthquake? Makes me think of the time we worked in Jarrell after the tornado...

Throwing up stinks! Hope you are all better soon!! Do you know why you are sick?

Sending a bunch of hugs your way!! Love you, Mel!!

sfjm said...

Tons of Food! I think it is so cool how God uses disasters to bring the church together to be the church! I'm glad you have gotten to be a part of the relief process. Hope you are having a good day.

Anonymous said...

i hope you are feeling a whole lot better by now!! i agree with the girls you are doing so much awesome work there. i'm praying for you and thinking about you!

marissa said...

i hope things are going well in ica & that you're able to get some rest. praying for you & can't wait to hear from you when you get back!