Sunday, September 09, 2007

Back to "Reality"

I have some surprising news, which I know many of you have already heard by now. I don't want to just show up in the States 4 months before my time in Peru ends without telling my prayer partners I am coming back early, although I have really been struggling with what to say. I also know that I would appreciate your prayers for a few things, and for that reason I am going to share this.

First of all, my reason for returning is a serious situation. I do want to make sure you know that it is not a moral reason (i'm not getting kicked out), and I am not quitting either. South America's member care guy came down to Ica (where I have been helping with disaster relief) on Wednesday to talk to me about somethings that have happened (although it was months ago, word just got to him this past week). I had no idea he was going to Ica and that it was to talk to me. He and the administrator's wife talked with me and told me that although I feel fine, being a journeyman for two years makes the time not really reality. We kind of live in a daze for 2 years, and they said I am putting things to the back of my mind and the longer I wait the harder it will be. I was told that I will be going back to the States for counseling. I've never had counseling before, and I guess it makes me feel like something is wrong with me and I don't want people to know I will be doing this. I guess it is just a prevention thing? God has helped me through each thing I have gone through here in Peru and I know He has reasons for letting us experience trials. I know I have received and will continue to receive comfort and peace that only comes from God, and for that reason it will all be ok.
I will admit, though, that I am not fine with having to go back 4 months early, I truly feel that I could stay here. But I know God has a reason for it, so I am trying to trust Him in this.

Prayer:
* I am pretty stressed and exhausted from this news of my return, trying to tell people bye, get things packed up, trying to think about what I will do when I get back, etc. I also keep running into problems with trying to get my dog to the States. I know it sounds dumb, but she's been my best friend here in Peru, and I had my heart set on taking her with me. I could use some prayers for encouragement.

* This doesn't just affect me. Amy will now be alone and will not be able to go to our places of work alone. For right now she can continue going to Ica to help with earthquake stuff, so that is a blessing.

* Since I have found out this news and have felt very exhausted the past few days, I have slacked off on my time with the Lord. Maybe I am avoiding it, although I know that is the thing that would help most.

Praise:
* I was able to request to have someone here with me, so it was approved for Autumn to fly to Lima from the jungle, so that has been a huge blessing for me. She's been helping me run all of my errands, and yesterday she watched me try on all the clothes i have here to tell me, "Pack it, throw it away, donate it to Ica, or I'll take it." hehe It's been a huge blessing and very helful.

James 1:2-4 Consider it all joy, my brethren, when you encounter various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces endurance. And let endurance have its perfect result, so that you may be perfect and complete, lacking in nothing. :-)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie!!!! Your mom told me yesterday and all can say to you is this....the Lord wants you back here for some reason....and you will know the reason in time. As sad as it is to come back here to our messed up unthankful at times part of the world the Lord has a plan. He has been preparing it for you and I know he has prepared you for whatever that plan is back here. I am praying for you and we love you and you can come help us at TEEN CBS!!!!! We are studying Servants of God and my talk this week is title "God has a plan for you." They asked us in our lesson what verse we liked best out of Joshua 1.....my answer that I wrote down came out of the NASB "Just as I have been with Moses, I will be with you; I will not FAIL you or forsake you." I loved it because of the word fail! That is a big thing for me because I know I fail people and people have failed me....BUT HE my everlasting Father, the one who holds onto me when I need it most will not FAIL me. I can bank on that with my whole existance!!!!! So you be strong and courageous back here in the states. You have left God's fragrance there in Peru and know that you have made much of God and His Kingdom there. I know very well He is saying to you right now "Well done my good and faithful servant!!!" You are my hero girl!!!!! Love ya tons!!!! Julie

Mary Anna said...

Hey, I've been thinking about you a lot ever since you called me. I know that you're not necessarily ready to go and you're not ready to say goodbye to everyone in Peru, and it may not even make sense, but Julie is right. God has a plan for you, and for some reason, He wants you back in the states. You have done GREAT things for the Lord over the past year, and I know that you will continue to do so no matter where you are. I love you, I care about you, and I'm praying for you, my dear, sweet Melanie Caroline.

P.S. I couldn't think of a better birthday present than for you to be back home with me! :)

Lacey said...

I totally agree with Julie and MAM. Goodbyes and see-you-laters are always hard but there is a reason for this. The Lord will give you strength and encouragement to help you through this.

I'm so glad we can be there for you in real life instead of over the Internet or phone!! We've all missed you so much! Know that there are many people lifting you up in prayer and that we all love you.

We are so very proud of you - know that as proud as we all are of you - the Lord is even more proud of you. You have made the Lord smile many times over the last couple years and you have done a fabulous job doing the Lord's work in Peru.

LOVE YOU, MEL!!!!

Melissa & James said...

Hey Melanie,
Just wanted you to know that I'm praying for you.
Love ya girl! Trust in the Lord!
Melissa :)