Monday, March 20, 2006

Accomplishment and mess ups

My disclaimer before I begin is to say that I know this does not sound like an accomplishment to anyone in America, but it is!

I just went to the store by myself! It is about a 12 minute walk. I'm terrible with directions but didn't get lost even though I had already gone to two other new places earlier today. I bought my first Inca Kola (very good by the way). Inca Kola and Fanta are very popular sodas here, so I figured I better try the one I had never had before. I also had to buy toilet paper, which is what forced me to go to the store in the first place. So I bought a pack of 16 rolls so I won't have to worry about it anytime soon, forgetting that I had to walk all the way back home with whatever I bought and that it was not going to get put into a sack. The fair skinned, blonde American girl already stands out quite a bit here, but stick 16 rolls of toilet paper in her arms and see what kind of attention she gets...
This morning was my first morning of language school and I was the only student with 2 teachers who only speak Spanish- and it is 4 hours a day. I did make the mistake of saying "Si, yo soy casada" (yes, I am married), rather than "cansada" (tired). This, of course, was only one among many mistakes out of 4 hours, but I'm learning! In Spanish, I asked my first teacher (Mercedes) if she likes to go to church (of course church to most peruvians is Catholic and includes cult worship to Mary). She said she doesn't like to go to church because all the people there are old. Pray that God will soften her heart and make her want to worship the Lord. And pray that God will use me in her life as she teaches me Spanish.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Well, it seems like you've already been through alot! That's really funny about the TP thing. I'm proud of you! Well, I'll continue to pray for the language barrier and then your teacher. God will allow you to do great and mighty things! :-)

Anonymous said...

I wish I could have seen you walking home with the toliet paper in your arms. :) I pray that Spanish comes to you quickly! We will all be jealous of you for knowing another language!! Praying for you! :)

Anonymous said...

I know exactly what it feels like to go to the store by yourself or out to eat by yourself for the first time! It's always exciting!!! Praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Hey! I enjoyed to toilet paper story. Good for you for not getting lost! Woohoo! Go Mel! I love you and I'm praying for you!