Today I wanted to wake up in the U.S. When I realized that was not a possibility, I hoped to walk out my door and see my family. I know that's crazy too. So I started thinking about how expensive cereal, popcorn, and the limited amount of American candy is. I thought about how the men here whistle, smooch, and stare at anything that is female (especially American females). I thought about how much of a hurry the people in Lima are- to where they talk so fast I can't even pick out any words because they all run together, and their hands never come off their horns as they are driving faster than they talk.
But then I remembered why I am here. It's not that I'm not excited--I'm very excited to be here, but there will be days like this (as anyone who has lived in another country can confirm, I'm sure). Days that I need to turn to the Father and ask to be constantly reminded why I'm here. It's not about me or my needs. It's about the Father's love. It's about the desire I have for these people to hear and see how great God is and for the darkness here to be brightened a little bit each day.
Diana called me a little while ago and asked if I can come to her house instead of meeting at Starbucks. She is taking care of her mother and doesn't want to leave her by herself today. This might not be the best idea for several reasons- I have never met with her before and I don't know the area where she lives. I talked to several people who said I need to meet in public with her for a while. I just called her back and asked if we can wait to meet until she can leave the house. She said ok and that she will call when she can meet. Even though that got canceled for today, Mercedes (one of my Spanish teachers) emailed and asked if I want to meet her tonight at 7. God is providing me an opportunity to build a friendship with Mercedes which can lead to great opportunities to share God's love with her.
"How deep the Father's love for us
How vast beyond all measure
That He would give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure
How great the pain of searing loss
The Father turns His face away
As wounds which mar the chosen One
Bring many sons to glory
Behold the Man upon a cross
My guilt upon His shoulders
Ashamed, I hear my mocking voice
Call out among the scoffers
It was my sin that held Him there
Until it was accomplished
His dying breath has brought me life
I know that it is finished
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no powr's, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection
Why should I gain from His reward?
I cannot give an answer
But this I know with all my heart
His wounds have paid my ransom"
Saturday, April 01, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I LOVE YOU!!! I am very proud of you. I know it's hard to be out of your comfort zone!! And you are WAY out of it!!!
"And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also: knowing that tribulation worketh patience; and patience, experience; and experience, hope." Romans 5:3-4
I hope your meeting tonight goes really well!! :) (It is hard *not* to want to be your friend! lol!) :)
Hey! Well, I hope things worked out for you. God is certainly providing and protecting you. I'll be praying for you!
Post a Comment