Sunday, December 24, 2006

Christmas

First time to celebrate Christmas away from family. It seemed like I'd be the one in the family having a different kind of Christmas since I'm the one in the family who's in another country. But it turns out that my brother and sister-in-law have to miss out, and so do my aunt, uncle, and cousin. Which leaves my sister as the only young one and she also has to be there to experience the first Christmas without my grandma as well. So maybe I'm better off down here rather than back home facing the changes life has brought this year. Although I obviously haven't bypassed "Change" by moving to Peru by myself!

I started reading The Weight of Glory by C.S. Lewis and read this part this morning:

It is promised:
1) That we shall be with Christ
2) That we shall be like Him
3) With an enormous wealth of imagery, that we shall have "glory"
4) That we shall, in some sense, be fed or feasted or entertained
5) That we shall have some sort of official position in the universe-ruling cities, judging angels, being pillars of God's temple.
The first question I ask about these promises is "Why any one of them except the first?" Can anything be added to the conception of being with Christ? For it must be true, as an old writer says, that he who has God and everything else has no more than he who has God only.

My desire is simply to be with Christ. That is what we are working toward, so what else matters other than what matters to Him? Too often I forget that.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

WoW! What an amazing thought! Just to be with Christ!! That should be all of our life goal, and nothing short. So many times we do settle for less. Lewis says it is because "we are far too easily pleased". I am glad things went well at both of your parties, and that those kids got to take home the greatest story ever. I am praying for you and Amy, and i hope you are having a good Christmas.

-Jonathan

marissa said...

thanks for sharing - that is an awesome thought about being with Christ. i hope that you're having a good christmas. i miss you & can't wait to see you again! merry christmas!

Anonymous said...

I appreciate you sharing that too. It is easy to mix up priorities in life, that is for sure! He should always be our focus.

Merry Christmas, dearest Mel!! Miss you!

Anonymous said...

Mel,

That's what I wish my desire was every day...what matters to Christ is all that matters. Thanks for sharing.

I love you,
Mom

Anonymous said...

Pretty cool thought. With the Christmas season just passed, it made me think about how materialistic we all can be. But does that stuff really matter? Does it bring us closer to Christ or does it only distract us? In most cases, I think it distracts us, and it's pointless because we usually tire of it anyway. So I totally agree with what you have to say.