Yesterday and today have been…I’ll just say interesting.
Last night I went to the Shearers’ house to watch a movie with Pam, Melissa, and Lane. I took a combi there. At first there was a man riding in the front seat, but I was the only one in the back. A guy got on and decided he needed to sit in the seat with me. I barely fit in combis and I’m short, so for someone to sit in the seat with me when the whole thing is empty is really strange. By the time I got to where I needed to get off, the combi was full and it was dark outside. I got off and crossed the street and felt someone following me. A wave of panic went over me, and I turned to look and it was the guy from the combi! I asked what he was doing, because we both knew that I knew he was following me. He said he had just wanted to talk to me. I couldn’t figure out why he didn’t accomplish that in the 30 minutes we were on the combi together. I asked him where he lives and the place he said is another 14 blocks on that road, then 13 or so after turning onto another road. When I found out he had gotten off the combi early, I was annoyed, but God gave me a peace that I was safe. He asked if he could accompany me and I told him I didn’t even know him and that would be dangerous. Turns out that he’s a doctor about to leave the country for his residency. Strange. It could have turned out to be a really bad situation (a girl’s worse nightmare!), but I know God’s hand of protection is on me.
Today Amy and I were going to our church for a pollada—a meal to raise money for Angel’s medical expenses for losing his eye. When we were almost there the taxi driver started asking us if we’re familiar with the area because it’s really dangerous. We told him “yes”, we go there all the time for church. Right after that, 3 men surrounded the taxi while we were stopped at a stoplight. I immediately knew what they were planning and I think my heart stopped. The guy on my side of the car reached through the passenger side window, unlocked my door (I was sitting in the back seat), and opened it. I was in shock and didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know if he had a gun or if he’d get me out or what. I didn’t know if I should hit or just sit. I just sat, frozen. I saw him looking around for a purse, which I thankfully didn’t have with me, and I told him I didn’t have anything. The driver yelled to the other 2 guys to leave us alone because we’re “hermanas de la iglesia”, sisters of the church. The 3 men left with nothing. My door was still open with lots of curious onlookers from the cars around us, and I was able to close it and asked the driver to roll up the passenger side window. I was pretty shakey for a little while! Amy wonders if the driver had a connection with the 3 guys. Very possible.
I think that was plenty for 2 days. We’ll see what tomorrow brings.
8 comments:
Goodness Melanie! You have had a couple of really scary days... I would have been terrified! God's hand of protection is on you and He is in control. I am praying for you.
kim
This reassures me that I am praying the right way for you. I pray night and morning for God to place a hedge of protection around you and a band of Angels to guard and keep evil from you. I will definitely continue to pray this for you. Betty S.
This is actually a mom's worst nightmare, too! But, I do know you're God's and He wants to use you to share His love, so He will protect you. I'm also proud of you that you use the brain He gave you to be as safe as you can...then the rest is up to Him. Guess you'll be riding in hot taxis with the windows up from now on. Thankfully, it's getting cooler weather for you there! I love you!
Mom
Ps. 91:4-6
Crazy stuff going on in Peru!! So glad that you are safe!!! Praying for you...
that is so scary, but it really does show us that God is taking care of you. i hadn't thought about the taxi driver knowing those other guys, but i guess it is very possible.
Mel! We miss your updates!!!
Wow, Mel! That is SCARY! I'm so glad that God continues to protect you! God is good!
Hello?? :)
Post a Comment