Sunday, May 14, 2006

Interesting Day


Today was an interesting day! I always take about $10 worth of soles with me, but today I had a lot more. I had to take money to give some people for my dog, and I was going to see them at English worship tonight. The plan was to go to Mercedes' house right after church, then to English worship from there- that's why I had to take the money with me, I wasn't going back home in between. At church I don't like to put my purse in the pew b/c we stand up a lot to sing and I can't see it. So I put it in front of me, kind of in between my feet. At the beginning I opened my eyes after a prayer and my purse was unvelcroed, unzipped, and things were half way out of it. I picked it up, and sure enough the wallet was gone along with my money, license and credit card. (It wasn't so much about the money as it was of the feeling of being violated) I was surrounded on both sides and 2 rows behind me with volunteer missionaries, and there was 1 man in the pew in front of us. He straightened up quickly and kept looking back out of the corner of his eye. I told Allison who went back and told the men at the back of the church. They asked the man to come back there, but he denied it. A man from the church took me and Ally home so I could cancel my credit card. When I got back, several men and women from the church stood in a circle and prayed with me before we went back in to the service. They were pretty distraught that this happened at their church. By that time, someone else had taken mine and Ally's seats and the only ones left were by that man!! Through the whole thing he was looking over and there happened to be something bulging out of his jeans pocket that was the size of my wallet. What could I do? I wanted to ask him about it, but you know what assuming things does. (although there was no one else there). Anyway, even if the person didn't get caught by people, God knows and sees everything.
Several people have encouraged me and reminded me of great Scripture. I'm thankful God places people in my life who will keep me thinking about the important things. It was interesting to hear at English worship tonight that 2 IMB missionary couples also got robbed this week here in Lima! It's sad, but it's real and it definitely could have been worse. I think all the Peru missionaries might agree with me that every day can be an adventure here! I hope I didn't ruin Mother's Day for my mom and my dad's birthday with calling them several times about all of this! They're the best. I miss these girls!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Melanie,
This is Rachel Routt from OBU. Anyway the new J-girl here, Amy, gave me your blog site. Wow, you're in Peru! That is so awesome! Anyway, I just wanted to say hi and God bless!
:)Rachel Routt

Lacey said...

Where can you use your tarjeta de credito? Do a lot of places take them? That is a bummer about what happened!! I'm sure it happened for a reason, though! God has a plan! I miss you too :( We're praying for you!!!!!

Lacey said...

I am very proud of your momma for commenting!! (WAY TO GO, MISS PAULA!!!) :) My mom reads mine through emails and emails me comments! She never looks at my blog from the real page!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's pretty hard to believe that someone would do that during a church service! Yikes! Do what I do and wear the purse at all times! :) Lacey makes fun of me for that.

We miss you too!!!!! :(

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm sorry that happened. I'm praying for you and all your work there.
-Addie