Friday, May 26, 2006

More about Lima

This afternoon Ally went with me to a church in El Agustino. This church is the one I am partnering with to do some work in the district Los Olivos. We were suppoed to meet someone from the pastor's family at a certain corner. As we were waiting, people kept getting closer and closer to us americans (or should i say gringas). A nice peruvian lady came and told us to be careful and that we should wait inside the store. I appreciated her watching out for us.
The church in El Agustino has the kids come on Saturdays from 4-6, so the pastor's family had invited me to come today to observe since I will be working with children in Los Olivos. When someone in Latin America tells you that you can "observe", what they really mean is that you can teach a couple of songs, tell about yourself to the group, and teach a class because a teacher is not there. That's what Ally and I had to do. Ally has been in Peru for 1 and 1/2 years, though, so she was not thrown off guard by this. I read the Bible story to our 4-6 yr old class, and she talked to them and asked questions. Yes, I had the easy part, but her Spanish is 15 months better than mine.
After that, one of the pastor's daughters helped us get on the right bus to get us back to Miraflores. I wish Ally could always go with me, but she travels all the time, and I'm definitely thankful she was so willing to go with me today.
I am house/dog sitting for my supervisor's family until the end of June. They had to go to the States b/c his father-in-law's health is not good (So please pray for the shearers). Their dog's name is Rufus, and the name fits his personality. He is still too consumed with my puppy Reina to do anything else but watch her when she's around. This is the 3rd night for them to be around each other, and once they get comfortable with each other I think they are going to be good friends.
I am really starting to feel a lot better about public transportation. It is easier to communicate to taxis where I need to go, and after this past week I am more confident taking a combi by myself. And after tonight, I now know which color and number of bus I need to use to get to and from El Agustino.
Here are some more pictures of Lima: 2 of the beach and one of the Ovalo. Hopefully I can someday get some pictures on here of the areas where I am working. For right now I'm not exactly considering taking a camera there.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad things went well at El Agustino!!

this week was great...thanks for fun times in Lima...and uncontrollable laughter....

Lacey said...

Peru looks so pretty!! :)

How is your Spanish coming along?

How far away is your supervisor's house from where you live?

Glad you got to spend time with Autumn...it's good to laugh with friends :) MISS YOU!!!!!

Anonymous said...

That's cool that you got some experience with the kiddos, and I'm glad that Puruvian woman was looking out for you!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, it's the 29th.