The past week has been so good, especially after last week of getting rocks thrown at me, my dog almost dying, and my taxi driver not showing up to take me to Los Olivos the one day of the week I was actually going to get to go.
Monday I went bowling with some Peruvians and Brazilians. One girl told me to tell my taxi driver, "Centro Comercial en Jesus Maria". Good thing my driver had a great sense of humor and I was in a good mood b/c it turned out that there were tons of buildings in that area, and I didn't know how to tell him in spanish that I wanted to go to the bowling ally. I starting describing the game and adding motions- it was like we were playing Gestures- he guessed "you want to shop for clothes, casino, billiards, discotech (did I really get into my motions that much??) golf, and tennis". Finally I saw a building with a bowling ball and pins lit up...and the word "Bowling". Ahhh
Once I finally found the group, some of them ordered something to eat and wondered why I wasn't eating. I told them that in the States a lot of people eat dinner before 8:30 pm (the time we met), so I had already eaten a taco that I made. One guy gave me a hard time about this and explained to me that in Spanish, a "taco" is the heel of a shoe. Contrary to what some people believe, Peruvian food is nothing like Mexican food...so I guess "taco" is more likely to be the heel of a shoe than food here in Peru?
And today, a Peruvian who has lived his whole life near downtown Lima took me around that area. It was fun going with other missionaries one time, but it was really great going with a Peruvian who knows it so well. He explained so much in 4.5 hours and even ordered me Ceviche (probably the most famous dish here--fish "cooked" with lemon?) and fried Yucca (I think that's what he said it was anyway- it was good whatever it was)
Wednesday, June 21, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Your dog almost died?!?!??! What happened?
Glad you got to have some fun with some people who speak English! :) I'm sure that was really nice for you.
P.S. I think it is really cool that you put Romans 8:58 on my blog because that verse has been in my head the last few days!!
who speaks English?? All those people speak Spanish...
I'm sorry. I was a little out of it last night. I haven't had much sleep lately. I think I thought that the people you talked to about the taco spoke english?? Sorry!
It's amazing the people God is putting in your life to encourage you, to help you in your work, to protect you and to immerse you in Spanish...all the time! Even though the Brazilian missionaries know English some, they speak Spanish to you, too! You're doing a great job - and all in just over three months.
"...Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain." 1Cor. 15:58
Spanish is labor, right?!
Love you,
Mom
i guess now that a peruvian showed you around, you'll be ready to show me around when i come right?
mel...sounds like the last 17 days have been quite an adventure for you....i am so ready to see you next week and catch up :)
ps...i bought a scooter today...as soon as i got back....
What? your puppy almost died? When did this happen? Well, I'm glad things started to look better this week. I enjoyed the bowling story. Oh, and I assume they found out what was making that smell. Atleast I hope they did...
Post a Comment