Thursday, June 01, 2006

Here she is again



One of my good friend's sisters demanded that I post more pictures of Reina. So these are for you, Amanda! =) I guess sitting in a frisbee and chewing on a bottle lid are fun things to do. Soon I'll have to post a picture of her with Rufus, the dog I am dog-sitting for a month. Reina likes to try to bite Rufus's "beard", and everytime they've been playing, Reina's entire face is soaking wet. I'm not exactly sure what Rufus is doing to her. But they have fun, and she hasn't gotten hurt yet!

Traveling back and forth between the Shearers' house and my house every day has made me a pro-combi rider. I've been taking this crowded, van like public transportation twice a day for a week. When I say to someone "I'm going to the Shearers house now" it doesn't mean I'm just going to hop in a car and be there in a few minutes. What it really means is that I will walk 8 mintues to the street I need to get a combi. Then I wait for the right combi to come along. If I'm not sure about one, I ask, then I jump in and it takes off before both of my feet are even in the vehicle it seems. There are lots of stops to let people off and new people on, so after about 25-30 minutes of riding it is time to tell the guy who stands by the door and collects money, "baja" Then I cross a busy street and have about an 8 minute walk through construction (sometimes leaping over huge holes in the ground), staring people, stray dogs, and begging people.

A couple of days ago Allison and I talked about how us single girls go all over Lima by ourselves. Married people probably don't think a thing about it b/c so much of the time they have a spouse or kid to go places. They have not experienced learning everything alone (unless they happened to spend 2 years overseas before getting married). It's so much easier to try things when someone else is with you. What one person is weak in, another is sometimes strong. My problem in going all over the place by myself is that I am terrible with directions! My family and some friends know that if I say to go left, they better go right.
But then I admitted to Allison that if I did have someone else with me all the time- a husband or whatever, I think I would rely on him, whereas now I am forced to rely on God in everything. I have opportunities to learn so much more about God and about independence by being a young, single missionary than any married person who hasn't experienced this alone could ever learn. For that I am thankful.

1 John 5:14 This is the confidence which we have before Him, that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us.

9 comments:

John Grady said...

You are right about sometimes the spouse is stronger in some areas than the other. Sonia is FAR better in Spanish than I am, but she is terrible with directions. Therefore, I had to learn enough Spanish (quickly) in order to understand directions in Spanish! We can go somewhere in downtown San Jose and when we leave, Sonia doesn't have a clue how to get back to where we came from. You are correct about one other thing as well though, God is there with you and He can strengthen you in those areas that you are weak! Keep up the good work there in Lima!

Lacey said...

Amen, sista!! :) I see where you are coming from...so true, so true. What a blessing this experience is and will be to you in the future!

I could never do what you are doing alone!!! You are so strong and I am really proud of you!!!!

P.S. I love the pic of Reina in the frisbee!!! How totally cute is that?!? What kind of dog is Rufus again? Glad they get a long okay! :)

Amanda said...

Yay little Reina!! What a cutie!!! Could she be any more cute...?!?! I don't think so!

I agree with you on the comments about husbands and wives. Iron sharpens iron, so godly wives and husbands tend to make up for each others faults with their strengths, AND challenge each other through their weaknesses. It is truly amazing what God can build on top of the rock of His foundation. :o)

THANK YOU for the pix!!!! :oD

Amanda said...

As iron sharpens iron, so a man sharpens the countenance of his friend. (Proverbs 27:17)

Anonymous said...

Mel,
Knowing you as I do, I am totally amazed at what God can do! (I don't want to imagine what it's like to endure all the whisles, stares, and air kisses.) I'm so thankful He's strengthening you and allowing your faith in Him to bring glory to Him. I'm ready to see Reina "in person" but will settle for the pics right now. Thanks.
Very proud of you!!! Love, Mom
Isaiah 43:2

Jen said...

Pretty true. I am glad that I have had time to experience things by myself, but that just further reinforces the "I can do it myself" thought process. The longer I'm single, the harder it gets to ask for help in my weak areas!

Anonymous said...

i know you're learning a lot through being there by yourself. i really wouldn't want to do it alone, but just keep relying on God! i love the frisbee picture!! she seems like a funny dog!

Anonymous said...

I could not have said it better mel. It seems He is showing you some of the same things He is showing me. I wish I could be there like I was last week to ride the combis with you and walk down the sketchy road...I'm glad I was there to go the first couple of times...but you are right...God is teaching us so much about relying on Him alone. Know that I am praying for you.

Remember...not only Pedro offers you his protection...God does too..hahaha

PS--Has Reina grown any since last week?

Anonymous said...

awwww! she's so darn cute! Yeah, I totally agree. That's why I've decided its better to be single and why I'm not interested in dating right now.