Sunday, June 11, 2006

They need Jesus!

If I wasn't convinced before, I for sure am now. The whole time I've been here I have had so many problems getting money. When I finally did get some, it got stolen. I was frustrated when my wallet got stolen. Why did God tell me to work with these people? I get frustrated that I can't go to my places of work alone because it's too dangerous. Yesterday I didn't have anyone to go with me, and I walked away from a taxi with tears in my eyes because he refused to take me where I needed to go because it's "peligroso" (dangerous). If a taxi driver won't even take me to this place, why do I have to go there??? Today a kid cussed at me because I wouldn't buy gum from him. Then when I had passed a policeman, the kid ran to catch up to me and threw rocks at my face. It hurt and I was frustrated... but only for about 10 seconds. Why am I here?! It's so obvious- they need Jesus! How can I expect anything different out of these people who don't have the Lord in their lives? He's my life, and I want Him to be their life too. That's why I'm here!

8 comments:

Lacey said...

The sermon this morning was about shining and enduring suffering...

"...for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe..." Philippians 2:13-15

Meditate on the Word, be in prayer, serve the Lord in obedience. It brings to brilliance the light inside that was perhaps a low, hidden glow.

Rejoice in sufferings. It grows us. We are limiting our growth when we are not willing to serve. *Shine* in the midst of struggles. Do people experience the presence of the Lord when they hang out with you?

I know people are trying to prevent you from shining but hang in there! Satan knows you are working for the Lord and is throwing everything he can in your way…But God is with you every step of the way!

Sending you some hugs!! Wish I could hug you in person!! Love you!

Anonymous said...

Hi Mel!!
I finally have internet in my lovely apartment in Ken Del. Thought I would do my best to encourage you. Know that you are in my prayers as always! I read the following in my quiet time and it encouraged me tremendously. I hope it does the same for you! Love ya sweetie!
"But we are not those who draw back and are destroyed, but those who have faith and obtain life." Hebrews 10:39

Anonymous said...

when i read this the first thing that came to my mind was Moses and the hebrew people crossing the red sea, they had no way, but God is faithful and provided a way. I think it is so cool how we are not capable of anything on our own, but with God we who are weak become strong. God is using you in amazing ways, and will as long as your eyes are fixed on Him! God has always used trials in the life of His children to make Himself known. im praying 4u!

Anonymous said...

it's so cool to see what God is teaching you through all of these difficult situations! and it's great that your eyes are open to see what He's trying to teach you rather than just complaining about them!

Anonymous said...

Hey, Mel Cow! :) I feel for ya. You are right. They do need Jesus. It's not gonna be an easy job, but you can do it! Hang in there! I'm praying for you and I love you!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey,

We know we live in a fallen world and it hurts to endure some of these things. Remember the valley in Psalm 84.
Every trial we face and every test of our faith that we pass (with His help) is another grain on the foundation Jesus has begun. That foundation is getting stronger!

It's so awesome to think that God cares when He sees your tears and struggles and He is "upholding you with His righteous right hand."
Love you,
Mom

PS - There are quite a few people at church last night who were ready to come to Peru to be body guards! But...you have some guardian angels (skinny and otherwise) :-)

Anonymous said...

I Peter 1:3-8...you've probably read it a million times, but one more time never hurts:

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade--kept in heaven for you, 5 who through faith are shielded by God's power until the coming of the salvation that is ready to be revealed in the last time.

6 In this you greatly rejoice, though now for a little while you may have had to suffer grief in all kinds of trials. 7 These have come so that your faith--of greater worth than gold, which perishes even though refined by fire--may be proved genuine and may result in praise, glory and honor when Jesus Christ is revealed. 8

WE MISS YA!

Anonymous said...

Mel, don't get discouraged, you are a beacon of light in a land of darkness. You are living your life for the Lord, and definitely in His will. And knowing this, you know He is right beside you, as you walk, as you ride the taxie or any transport, even as you are being cussed at. I believe you are planting so many seeds there.

I will continue to pray for you.
keep smiling,
keep caring,
keep loving,
keep sharing.
keep it up mel! :-)