Sunday, April 16, 2006

Grocery store fun

Today I got to go to church with Allison, and I loved it! This week I want to ask Mercedes to come there with me, but I have a schedule for a few more weeks still to go to church with different missionaries. If I wait to ask her to go with me until I'm done with the church visiting schedule I will be done with language school...
After we ate lunch, Allison and I decided to try out a grocery store we'd never been before, called Vivanda (because Ally likes the green sacks that they put the groceries in there..jk). At the store the thing started beeping when we went in. We couldn't ever figure out if it was a metal detector or if it was something to prevent stealing- but it went off on our way inside so I don't know. A guard came over and made us walk through individually, and found out it was me making it go off. He started looking through the bag i was holding (it just had my leftovers in it). I had to give it to him and it still went off when i walked through. So then he went through my purse and I had to hand it over. It still went off. He started asking questions that Ally had to answer. I had handed things over until the only thing left I could possibly do would be to strip. So after walking through 6 times and making it go off, he let us go inside. Then we had to come back out when we were done shopping. It went off again of course (guess I didn't pray hard enough) so I turned around, caught the eye of the guard who smiled and waved, then we were on our way. We thought. Then a police officer caught up to us and said one of us had something in our bag. We had to go back to the store and get the guard to tell him he had already checked me. I have no idea what was doing it?? At least Ally thought it was funny.
This reminds me of a grocery store experience last week. I was minding my own business looking at Mothers Day cards when a man came over and started a conversation with me. After a little while he asked if I am Peruvian (it is a little hard to tell sometimes) and when I said no, we started talking in English. It turned out that he is from San Diego and moved here 2 months ago. He said if I ever get lonely or scared I can call him. He assured me that he was not hitting on me- to prove it, he has a new Peruvian girlfriend....from whom I should take belly dancing lessons.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha sounds like a very eventful past few days! could you take mercedes to a new church with you or would you be worried to take her to one where you've never been before?

mel_peru said...

Yeah, I've been riding with other missionaries to their churches and don't find out what time they are going to pick me up until Saturday night. So, yeah it would be hard to tell her to meet me somewhere that I've never been and don't even know where or what time.

Anonymous said...

I wonder what kept on making it beep? Did you ever find out?

Anonymous said...

That is so weird about the beeping. I wonder what could have caused it. Oh well...I guess we'll never know. that is a funny story though!