Sunday, April 30, 2006

Who needs lights anyway?

#1 Tonight I went to a church in the "upper class" urban poor. Within the first minutes the electricity went out. It was so dark I couldn't even see my hands in front of me, but nobody even missed one beat of the song we had been singing. (It made me think of the time a little over a year ago when I was a sponsor for the youth trip to Tennessee. We were all gathered in a hotel room singing to the Lord when there was a blackout. We just kept singing and giving testimonies by cell phone light. So great!) Tonight, after that song was over they started lighting candles. They were melting wax onto the tops of the pews to help the candles stick on them. A couple times a candle fell and they would have to pick it up really fast. Victor (the coolest taxi driver ever) was sitting on a pew right by a candle and I was sure he was going to catch on fire. Either him or all the pews. Then Kevin preached by candlelight (I don't think he went to the church tonight to preach, but being a male missionary, I guess it's best to be prepared everywhere you go!), and afterward I got to talk to some girls around my age. It was good practice with my espanol, and they were understanding about my lack of ability! Not to mention they were very sweet girls.

#2 A few days ago Ally and I needed to mail some letters. So we walked to Wong's grocery store and went to the counter with 3 or 4 girls standing there making homemade gift bags from wrapping paper (I guess in a 3rd world country where time is no concern, you can do this even though you do have already-made gift bags). So we handed them our letters. They weighed them and looked up in their binder to see how much it would cost. We got a personalized lesson in how to make homemade gift bags. They wrote us tickets which we had to get in line at a cash register to pay for. I paid my $5 for 3 letters and took the receipt back to the counter. When they knew I had paid, they started cutting out the stamps I needed and and got them wet to get them to stick on the envelopes. When they didn't stick, the girls found some glue to stick them on. Finally, we were on our way back home. Who knew what a great invention it is to be able to buy stamps ahead of time and just drop your letter in a box. Maybe they will think of this soon in Peru. ;-)

#3 For those of you who were praying for Autumn while she was on her first 3 week trip out in the villages, she got back almost a week ago. I've gotten to talk to her a lot this week and it has been such a blessing. Keep praying for her because it is a VERY different lifestyle.

#4 I got an email from Mercedes today saying that she and her friend Merly want to come to church with me next Sunday!!!!!!! Hopefully it will work out

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAY! That is really exciting about Mercedes! Was she the one in the zoo pic? I like the story about the worship service! I bet that was really awesome! Do you know any of the songs by heart now? Is Autumn done with language school now? Hope you have a great day! :) Thanks for updating! It's always exciting to see what is going on in Peru! :)

Anonymous said...

i'm glad the church didn't catch on fire! that's great that y'all just kept worshiping even though that happened. that is so exciting about mercedes!!